Chia Seeds have been cropping up everywhere over the last few years. The Superfood contains healthy omega-3 fatty acids, fibre, calcium and protein making it a staple ingredient for vegans. I first sampled them 8 years ago as an ingredient in a chia fresca (lemon drink) in Guatemala, and have since discovered how versatile this little seed is. You can sprinkle it over porridge, use it as an egg substitute or use it in a creamy, dreamy chia seed pudding.
My delicious chocolate chia pudding is vegan, gluten-free, nut-free and naturally sweetened. In fact, it’s so healthy that it can even be eaten for breakfast!
Let’s satisfy our sweet tooth with this foolproof recipe!
Easy Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
Prep time: 15 mins
- 6 tbsp chia seeds
- 375 ml unsweetened almond milk
- 4 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder
- 2-4 tbsp date syrup or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients except the syrup in a mixing bowl. Mix until it’s all combined evenly and then sweeten with date or maple syrup to taste.
- Cover the mixture and leave it in the fridge overnight (or 5-8 hours). During this time the liquid will be absorbed and you will be left with a creamy, jelly-like consistency.
- Divide the mixture into glasses and serve chilled.
- Garnish each portion with desired toppings. My favourites are coconut yoghurt, fruit and granola. And enjoy!